Pages

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Shaun White Hoodies and Denim

I hope Target is proud of themselves.  I've been singing their back to school awkward-music-teacher theme song in a weird Jimmy Fallon sort of voice for a week now.  It's nearly as bad as June into July when I sang "...too many dicks on the dance floor..." for a month. Editing around the children... usually.  (Oh, Flight of the Conchords... you tickle me.)  It's like a disease.  These songs.  They get stuck in my head.

If you'll allow a soapbox for a sec, this is what bugs the hell out of me about kids programming and why my kids watch mostly public broadcasting.  (Except over the summer they have become oddly addicted to Dexter's Lab and Power Puff Girls onDemand...)  It's kind of my own science experiment.  Question:  What will little kids like when not advertised to?

It irks me though that even public broadcasting is "sponsored" by the likes of Chuck E. Cheese etc.  And in this brief 20 seconds, your kids are reminded, "Oh yeah!  I love that fattening crap!"  It's even worse on channels like Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon.  They are told they (although not the wallet holders of the household) should buy swanky, shiny, new clothes, shoes, toys.  I'd like to see what my kids can come up with without influence - without some corporate big wig telling them what they need to like or what's cool to like.  I especially don't need a kid telling me what he needs because some big colorful cartoon jackhole told him to.  Infuriating.  But I digress... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...